A Cornish Concoction pt 5 – A quick catch up

Good morning, from a still sunny southern Cornwall. I just can’t believe this weather, I’m beginning to think we’ve been transported to another country. It’s just great.

So, a little earlier than planned, here’s pt 5 – we have a very special trip planned this afternoon that is going to need a blog all of it’s own. Anyway, the usual catch up.

It seemed to take ages to get the blog finished on Monday – my old netbook struggles with the much larger pictures that the new camera takes, and whilst I do very little to them in the way of processing, it still takes an age to get them in to the blogging program. I have my eye on another laptop which I may be tempted to buy once (and if) the house sale goes through. Talking of that, we’re still waiting for the phone call. Getting meaningful information from the solicitor or anything approaching the truth from the estate agent is enough to try the patience of even the most patient of saints. And I aint a saint. Oh well.

Monday night we headed to the north coast and the resort of Portreath. This was a bit of a trip down memory lane for Trev who stayed here some forty years ago. A pub on the  front gave us the opportunity to do some more research and the it was the first time that no Cornish ale was on offer. A rather circuitous long shortcut – or short longcut if you prefer down some frightening narrow lanes brought us eventually back to Penzance for a quick pitstop before returning to the site for a nightcap or two in the awning  with the recently acquired ropelight now fully operational.



Tuesday and St Ives was the destination, again on the north coast. We opted to park and ride using the very popular train along the St Ives Bay branch line from Lelant Saltings. It’s only a short ride but very picturesque, hugging the coast around to St Ives all the way.


St Ives was busy – in fact the busiest place we have been too and one can only imagine what it’ll be like once the rest of the schools have broken up for the summer holidays. Nevertheless it’s a very pleasant place and stroll around the narrow streets  is a great way to pass the time. Lots of independent shops and particularly art galleries and studios vie for the contents of  your wallet along with the usual seaside tat. I really liked it here though can imagine it would be equally as delighfull on a crisp bright winter’s day to bizarrely. We paused for lunch of a pasty and salad – well presented but sadly lacking in the meat department, before heading back to the train and home to the site for a lazy afternoon.




The evening brought with it another drive out – it’s still so warm and light but with the roads quieter a great time to explore. We headed to Porthcurno on the south coast –where the Minack theatre is – to have a look at the beach. Porthcurno has some interesting history too. Undersea telegraph cables were laid from here to all corners of the British Empire – back when there was one of course – and was soon home to the largest telegraph cable station in the world. There is a museum here which has gone on the list of things to do before we move on. A quick pint- sorry research at the Cable Station Inn opposite the museum before returning, again via the First & Last Inn whose ever changing real ale offerings make every visit worthwhile – research wise that is…….


Right, you’re up to date – just. Stand by for Part 6 – coming out later today.

No comments:

Post a comment