The Nostalgic Spring Sojourn | Part 6

Sunday – the day of rest. And that’s exactly what I had planned, feeling very much like I was running on empty. Not only was the lack of decent sleep catching up again I’d awoke feeling like I’d been gargling carpet tacks and suspected a cold was beginning to make it’s presence felt. No matter, it’s been a long while since I’d had one and was quite pleased to have avoided picking up any bugs over the winter – working with kids it’s an occupational hazard but I guess it swings both ways and your immune system builds up too.

That’s not to say it was a bad day because it wasn’t – the sun was out, intermittently at least, and I was happy just to laze around in my happy zone – radio on in the background and a good book that was holding my attention for increasingly longer periods. I didn’t even go off site, the furthest expedition being to the facilities for a lovely long hot shower in one of the sites’ excellent en-suite units.

Monday, and again the sun was making a a sterling effort. It was my last day in York and, to be honest, not feeling 100% would have been happy to mirror Sunday’s activities – or lack of them. However that seemed a bit of a waste so, having done a load of washing and hung it out, I had a shower, got tarted up then pointed Rosie roughly north-west in the direction of Thirsk.

It was market day so the main square was packed with stalls and cars, but I found some parking just around the back near the river and fed some coins in the meter for a couple of hours stay. To be honest I didn't linger that long but loved the area by the bridge over the river which had plenty of benches and seats and looked a great place for a picnic.

A walk around the mainly cobbled square and down Market Street led me on to Kirkgate where I came across the Thirsk Museum – and learned something new – that Thomas Lord – of Lords cricket ground in London – was born here.

Further on, St Mary’s church looked stout and impressive in the sun – the increasing strength of which was having me seriously question for how much longer the long leather coat would stay on. Yes it was that warm!

On the way out I took the opportunity to check out the club site by the racecourse – it was here we were to come last year until they had to cancel bookings due to flooding and it was easy to see why. I’ve pulled some footage off the dash-cam so there may well be a site arrival at some point but if not, it’s quite easy to get to – from the A1(M) particularly.

Next up was Wetherby, a few miles back down the aforementioned A1(M) thanks to a road closure. No market but it looked busy and, having heard good things about the riverside I headed down there, impressed by the free car parking offered. Clearly, so were many others as there wasn’t a space to be had. Rosie idled for a bit as a watched for any imminent departures but there were none so headed off to find somewhere else.

I happened across another free car park shortly after but given my previous experience, was not hopeful. There appeared to be more comings – and more importantly goings though, so I circled the car park slowly, waiting for a space. As luck would have it – or so I thought – I saw someone easing out on the opposite side and headed around thinking that it was my turn and fair play might prevail. Yeah, right. Some Victor Meldrew’ esque character appeared in his shiny little hatchback with  face like a slapped arse and clearly a greater sense of entitlement, despite having only entered the car park seconds before. This was HIS space and nothing was going to stop him, especially some Southern nancy. Not that he’d have known that but I added it for effect. I didn’t have the will or the energy to challenge him, remembering the adage ‘pick your battles’ - he was never going to give the space up. So I satisfied myself with a little launch of the appropriate digit before heading off to find somewhere else – which I eventually did.

Again, the town was pleasant enough but yet again it was down by the river that I really liked. Now coat-less, it was really quite warm and again there were benches to sit and admire the view. I rued not making some sarnies as it would have been a cracking place to pause for a spot of lunch.

I’d debated continuing the sightseeing – Selby and a return visit to Knaresborough were two possibles – but what was quite obviously now a cold was slowing me down so instead heading back to the site, pausing at the nearby Asda to stock up. I knew from experience that my next site was quite remote and wanted to avoid long round trips for milk and the like.

And so, my last night on site at York Caravan Park. The time had flown by – really flown by and although it might sound as though it ended on a bit of a downer, I didn't see it that way at all. I’d had three great days out, met up with some lovely friends and had a thoroughly good time. I take the view now that there is no need to rush and see everything as there will always be a chance to return – for me anyway. It’s about making the most of how things are, indulging in what I enjoy - and I’ll go back to Thirsk and Wetherby and enjoy them more - I’m sure of that.

As I sat in Patsy and watched the beautiful sun set I reflected again that, despite what happened last summer I was still pretty fortunate – and will continue to make the most of that.

To get email alerts when I publish a new blog post, simply forward your email address to I won’t share it and it won’t get used for anything else.

No comments:

Post a comment