Guest Blog Post | Twittercamp First timer

Since joining the Twitter caravanning community, probably nearing 2 years ago now, I had often heard of this thing euphemistically called ‘Twittercamp’. My curiosity was certainly piqued but in the early days caution made me watch from afar. By the early summer of 2018, I felt confident and safe enough to consider, at the very least, calling in on one of these events, if it was within hailing distance to see what it was all about. Then, of course, there was the tragedy of Trevor, Richard’s husband sudden death and it seemed that my opportunity had passed. I quite understood that there might not be another one as Trevor, along with Richard, had had a major role in organising these events.

By later 2018, posts started to appear suggesting that another Twittercamp would be held in 2019, to be held in honour of Trevor’s memory and to fundraise for Papworth Hospital as Trevor had been the recipient of life saving surgery there some years ago. I was really pleased that I might get, at least one, chance to sample this event and see what was going on, the excited chatter amongst the group reassured me that I would have a special experience.

We move forward now to the end of May 2019 and, amongst great expectation and, if truth be told, not a little apprehension, I set off to Moreton in Marsh for a long weekend of events at Twittercamp for Trevor, as it had become known.

I arrived after a very good journey down and set up at a site I had not visited before. If there was a bit of a downside, the site was it. The pitches are narrow, cars must be parked in front of vans, the quality of the pitches were not up to the usual Club standards. But no matter, I was there for much more important matters than a pitch grumble.

I made my way round to meet people, who although I had not met in person yet, I already felt I knew quite well, certainly in relation to the caravanning world. I need not have worried as I was very warmly welcomed and made to feel totally at ease.

We had a quiet day or so before the main event started but those who had already arrived got together for a chat over drinks and nibbles on the Friday evening. Even though we were not at full strength, it was quite an impressive sight to see all the vans, cars and then at the bottom of the cul de sac, a not inconsiderable gathering of chairs and people sat in an ever-growing circle. People were very friendly, and conversation flowed easily. We all agreed to meet the following morning for an outdoor breakfast of croissants, rolls, meat and cheese, along with copious amounts of juice, tea and coffee. It, for me, set the tone of the rest of the long weekend, one of friendly camaraderie and everyone mucking in to help.

By lunchtime, pretty much everyone who was to attend had arrived, including my good friend Richard who was, de facto, guest of honour. The afternoon consisted of games, drinks and conversation. It was surprising how quickly the hours flew by and even dogs got to play and meet new friends, some more successfully than others. I have to say my two did well, given the large number of people and other dogs on their first event.

That evening, with the weather being very kind to us all, started with a BBQ, a local butcher must have thought his Christmas had arrived early, given the very large order for beef burgers which landed on his door earlier that morning. It is to their credit that they managed to fulfil the order with some very delicious burgers to be eaten. The organising the team even provided salad and piping hot new potatoes, all of which were delicious.

The next event was a fun and very competitive pop quiz. Teams quickly formed and the entrance fees collected. The next couple of hours passed in friendly rivalry and much laughter. Sadly, the team I was on did not win but we had a great time, nonetheless. We spent the final couple of hours that evening chatting over drinks and nibbles.

Sunday morning, I awoke to another dry morning and made my way for, yet another delicious breakfast made on Cadac’s galore, I had to smile that there was no small amount of good-natured competition between the chefs as to the production of cooked goods for our consumption.

The afternoon was a quiet time, to catch up with the inevitable caravanning chores and a bit of sleep too!

I had booked on to the Sunday evening meal at the Swan pub close by the site. The organisers were also going to hold the raffle after the meal. We all arrived and just about fitted in the event room at the rear. We all had the choice of three types of carvery which was delicious. Again, everyone was friendly, and a lovely atmosphere was at play. Following the meal, was time for the raffle, probably one of the biggest I have ever seen. People had been so generous, in honour of Trevor’s memory. I was pleased to win a box of chocolates, always a good prize to get I feel. It was then time to return to the site and move all our chairs again to the head of the cul de sac and to end the evening with yet more drinks, nibbles and good humour.

Monday morning came around far too quickly, as I had to leave due to commitments which I could not change. We met for one final breakfast, time to say goodbyes and with a heavy heart I took my leave. A straightforward easy journey home completed the most delightful long weekend in memory of an amazing person. I thank all the organisers and each and everyone who attended for making my bank holiday a truly memorable occasion. I hope one day, soon, to meet you all again, so a final thank you and best wishes for a fabulous summer of caravanning.

No comments:

Post a comment